SEO stands for search engine optimization. This refers to the things you do so that when people use a search engine like Google and types in a word or phrase that’s connected to the topic of your website, your website pops up in the results. One of the more important things that people need to do to optimize their website for search engines is to create backlinks.
What are Backlinks?
The links on your website may direct your users to other websites which they may find interesting or important. These are called outbound links. Backlinks on the other hand are the links on other websites which direct their users to your website.
So why are backlinks important?
That’s because they can help your website more popular on search engines. When other websites refer to your website, you then become more of an “authority” on the topic you cover. Backlinks also serve as a recommendation of sorts, and Google takes note of that.
Google is in the business of serving up the websites that their users want, and when you have other websites recommending yours then that means your website must be what users want.
Google also monitors the number of people who come to visit your website, and backlinks offer a very convenient way for the visitors from other websites to come to yours. And as you get more and more visitors to your site, the more SEO “points” you earn.
Crucial Backlinking Factors
The number of backlinks you have is crucial, but that is not the only factor that is important. Here are some other factors you want to consider:
1. Relevance. Let’s say your website is all about selling car parts and offering car repair services. But if you get backlinks coming from websites that are not connected in any way to your business (such as vegetarian diet websites), then this won’t boost your SEO at all. In fact, it may trigger suspicion that you didn’t earn your backlinks the proper way.
Google may think that you bought those backlinks, and this may earn you a penalty.
2. Quality. Not only should the websites linking to your site be relevant to your niche, but they should also be popular with Google and other search engines as well. Let’s put it this way: you’re a basketball player and you need a recommendation—it’s better to have a recommendation from a famous coach like Phil Jackson than from a high school coach in some unknown town. So going back to our previous example, if you have a car parts and repair website, you should endeavor to get backlinks from well-established websites connected to the car industry.
3. Different types of websites. There are many types of websites connected to the car industry. Some are blogs and review websites, there are forums and online directories, and others are commercial websites. You need backlinks from all of them, and not just from a particular type of website.
4. Speed of acquisition. You can’t suddenly have a thousand backlinks appearing overnight. It will make search engines suspicious. Getting a thousand backlinks is only possible if you bought them and Google will penalize you for trying to trick them.
Essentially, the more and better backlinks you have, the greater chance you have of improving your ranking with Google. Just make sure you do it ethically, or else you’ll do more harm than good for your site.
A lot of people and businesses seem to want instant results. It’s a universal trait. This explains the popularity of those miracle weight loss supplements that promises to give instant results. Even if doctors caution everyone that healthy weight loss is never more than 2 lbs a week, most people ignore their warnings because they are more interested in losing weight fast.
It’s the same thing with Search Engine Optimization. SEO is a slow and gradual process. In fact, any attempt to cause instant SEO improvements can result in doing the website more harm than good. That’s because those instant SEO tactics are considered forms of cheating too, and then you’d get punished by Google for it.
Here’s a look at the whole SEO situation:
No responsible SEO professional jumps at making changes right away. First you will need to determine what changes are needed, and that comes after making a thorough analysis. And this goes beyond analyzing what you’ve been doing with your website. Your competitors will also be analyzed as well.
This is a rather tedious process, and only the pros will have the requisite patience and skill to do it. Even the right keywords must be identified first, and that takes research as well.
In order to succeed in optimizing your website for search engines, you need more than just a few tricks. It’s not enough that you have keywords in their proper places. You actually need to create content that your users will find interesting and useful.
Again, this will take time. Coming up with original content isn’t as easy as you think. What’s more, you need different types of content. You can’t have just huge blocks of text all over the place. You also need lots of images, and of course you may use videos to boost your SEO and user interest as well.
Keep in mind that the ulterior motive of Google and other search engines is to provide websites with the most relevant content whenever their users type in keywords to look for websites. So you actually have to prioritize providing the content your users will appreciate.
If you’ve done any research on SEO, then you know the value of building links with other websites. Those sites must first be identified to begin with. Your competitors will be studied, and their links will be checked to see which sites they are linking to. If your competitors are ranked highly, then you also need to get those links. In order to outrank them, then you need to get links which your competitors don’t have.
And you can’t have a thousand new links sprouting overnight. Link building needs to be a slow process, because when you go too fast Google will simply assume that you’re cheating (you bought these links instead of accumulating them legitimately). That will get you penalized.
So when it comes to SEO, slow and steady wins the race. But to make that happen, you better get started now. It also is important you find an affordable seo company that you can budget monthly for services.
Imagine SEO as a table and your website sits on top of it. But your SEO table needs to have four legs and they need to be sturdy. When one leg is broken, the table can fall apart and your website along with it. This is a very simple way of looking at SEO, but nonetheless it’s also very accurate.
In this analogy, the 4 legs of the SEO table are the following:
1. Content. You may be surprised that this comes first, but it should always be remembered. That’s because what you offer on your website is the main reason why your visitors are there in the first place. Google wants you to offer what their users are looking for. Your content has to be fresh, original, and utterly useful and relevant. If your content is old, plagiarized, and basically useless, then you don’t have any hope of getting to the top of the Google results.
2. Website design. Think about how your visitors use your website. Is the way your navigation tools arranged efficient in getting your visitors from one page to another? Are the buttons and links easy to find, and are the articles and other information they need arranged in some sort of coherent and logical order? What about online payments? Have you arranged for a secure and stable way for your customers to shop and pay for items?
These are just some of the questions you need to think about in website design, and they also affect SEO. Think about it; Google checks for websites which offer what users want, and users want an efficient website design where navigation is easy and the tools are present.
3. Aesthetics. You can call this aspect “graphic design”, but essentially it’s all about looking good. Some websites are really gross and inherently ugly. What you need is a site that is easy on the eyes so that your visitors will be tempted to stay long and use it. Ugly websites are rarely successful and popular.
4. SEO tactics. Google reportedly checks 200 factors in determining the relevance of a website, and SEO professionals can help prepare your website towards satisfying those standards. For example, the right keywords to target should be identified and used in all the right places on your website.
Then there is the matter of link building, which remains an important part of SEO. A good SEO professional can help you grow your links naturally, so that Google can use them as basis in ranking your website higher in search engine results pages.
Like any table, the legs of course must be of the same height and weight for everything to work effectively. So in this case, what you need is an SEO company that can assist you in every aspect of SEO. With an SEO firm ready to provide strong and stable legs for your table, then your website will rank high up in the SERPs in no time.
If you have your own business website, then you may realize at some point that maintaining it requires a lot of work. You have to take care of website design, which is essentially all about making sure that everything’s easy for your site visitor. All the elements must be in place, and everything must be arranged just so in order to make navigating convenient for your users.
Then there is the matter of graphic design, and this is focused mainly on how everything looks on your site. People are inherently attracted to nice looking things, so need to make sure that your website looks great. It’s a bit like going out on a date; while some people may say that their date’s personality, intelligence, and sense of humor are important, the way they look also plays a crucial role in determining whether a date is a success or not.
Then there is SEO, which is generally aimed at getting to the top of the Google SERPS when your potential customers are using the keywords relevant to your business/niche. A real professional SEO specialist will not only be well-versed in this area, but will also be an expert in website design and graphic design. An example here would be Mr. SEO, a reputable SEO firm that offers a range of services that will help your website get to the first page of the SERPs.
You need to choose a full service SEO company because…
1.SEO involves both website design and graphic design.
Google looks at many factors before they deem your website as the most relevant when certain keywords are typed in by users. A large part of this is how your visitors treat your website. Do they stay long, or do they leave immediately? Part of the reason why some of your visitors leave your website almost immediately is that your website doesn’t look good, or its design is so inefficient, complicated and cumbersome.
So right away, you need to know that all these elements are connected. You can’t really improve SEO without touching on website design and graphic design.
2.Full service SEO companies are inherently more efficient.
Why would you hire three different companies providing you with separate services when you can just hire one to provide for all three?
These three companies will have to learn how to work together, and you may have to referee and coordinate their efforts yourself. It’s truly a juggling act, and learning how to work together isn’t always a sure thing when separate companies are involved. But if you already have a single company providing for all these services, then you know that everything will work together flawlessly.
3.It saves you a lot of time.
First of all, having to choose just one SEO specialist among many will already require much of your time. Do you really want to prolong the process by going through this three times when you have the option of only doing it once? Communication is also much more effective this way, because you can contact the same company whether you have a problem in website design, graphic design or SEO.
So pick a full service SEO provider like Mr.SEO. It’s easier, more convenient, and significantly more effective. It’s a no-brainer, really.